"Any extended discussion with a pacifist almost always reaches the point where they sigh and say, "But I want to live in a world without violence." To which I respond, "I want to live in a world where I can breathe under water." What we want generally does not change things."
- There will always be bad people.
- Bad people don't care about hurting good people. Appeals to shame, empathy and guilt don't work on them. That's why they're bad people.
- Bad people respond to force. They don't like it and will change their behavior to avoid it.
- Good people need to use force to stop the bad people from hurting other good people.
- It's not the same when a good person uses force to stop a bad person as when the bad person uses it to harm a good person.
- Not letting good people use force against bad people encourages more bad behavior.
- Good people using force against bad people should be encouraged. This will make the world a better place."