Monday, December 11, 2006

Kofi Annan: The Man, The Myth, The Photoshopped


I'm sooooo sad that Kofi has to step down, especially after such a riveting farewell speech. It was so fresh and original to hear "Human rights and the rule of law are vital to global security and prosperity." Wow, what insight. I also listened in amazement when he said the U.S. "appears to abandon its own ideals and objectives, its friends abroad are naturally troubled and confused." The raw intellectual power of this man, how will he ever be replaced?

But certainly Mr. Annan wasn't just preaching to his lib Euro-buddies was he? You don't mean to say he was....no....just putting one country down to raise himself?

Alas, I think our friend Kofi is nothing more than another man trying to give himself a final shot of glory. And again it comes at our expense. Have we abandoned our "own ideals and objectives" or are our ideals just very different from someone who developed UNICEF into a tool for "population control." Maybe when Kofi says that our "friends abroad are naturally troubled and confused," he means his friends. You know who I'm talking about Mr. Chirac, Mr. Schroeder, and I guess anyone else who doesn't like America. I seem to recall our friends like you know, Albania, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, Estonia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova, Mongolia, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, South Korea, and the United Kingdom not disagreeing with us a whole bunch. You know, the other 22 countries that went with us into Iraq. Sure, not everyone has agreed that we should have gone into Iraq, but the fact of the matter is as Mr. Annan said in his speech that as the world's superpower we "must accept the special responsibility that comes with their privilege." So we have.

My little Kofi, if you could see past the spotlight that's been in your eyes these last few years you could see that there were really only a few people clapping. That clapping you hear drowns out the crying from the families in Africa where your dear UNICEF has told them to use condoms and abortion to keep themselves from overpopulating and hence starving themselves. If you'd have opened your ears to that instead of the cheers you've sought by insulting the US, you might have even heard the victory cheers in Uganda for winning battles in the fight against AIDS by using abstinence education.

But you have been busy Kofi. You and Kojo have been hard at work. It must have been rough going making sure all the money went to the right places and "right" places when the Oil-for-Food program was running. And as I've mentioned UNICEF before, I may as well mention it again, it takes alot of time to put the right people in charge. You know what I mean, the "Co-ordinating Committee on Health -- aligned UNICEF with UNFPA's major partner agency, International Planned Parenthood, which ranks second only to the the Chinese government in the volume of abortions it provides." Second to only the Chinese government, well Kofi, what are you doing falling behind? You better set the tone my friend.

Why stop there? Kofi, can I call you Kof for short? Kof, you hit the nail on the head when you said "The Security Council is not just another stage on which to act out national interests." I mean you are so right. When Iran threatens everyone who wants to stop them from making "the bomb" by taking action at the security council, they are totally just using the council as a stage. Oh, my fault, you were just putting us down again. I see, Iran has every right to put on a show at the Security Council (I hear Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is a great Gene Kelly in their new Singing in the Jihadist Rain), but should we use UN channels such as the Security Council to try to stop them from using a WMD against a country they want to be "wiped off the map," we're trying to hijack the council for national interests. I understand.

I know I'm not perfect. I tend to criticize alot, just ask my wife, she hates it (or look at my Nativity story post). I do get a little perterbed, however, when people like Kofi Annan continue to criticize America day after day while his own deeds go sight unseen. UNICEF is killing babies but the headline on YAHOO!NEWS is: "Annan criticizes U.S. in farewell speech." You know somewhere Beelzebub is loving it.

On the flip side, now that Kofi is out, have some fun looking at these pictures capturing the touching moments of his time in office (just kidding, its a Kofi Annan photoshop contest).

No comments: