Monday, February 19, 2007

Why Asteroids and the UN have me ready for Lent

We live in a time where a holocaust of children is happening world-wide and governments, for the most part, don't care. In our day, nations won't take action to help others until they have the definition of the problem nailed down- is it genocide or is it not? Thanks be to whomever it is due for the United Nations, however, because they have stepped right up to tackle the real issues: asteroids.

This Lent I will watch the Passion of the Christ, I will probably read Lenten meditations, and I will resolve to be at more daily masses. This Lent I will also learn from the UN. You see, while 1 in 3 three children in the US is murdered for the sake of "choice," there is a 1 in 45,000 chance that we will be struck by an asteroid on April 13, 2036 and this fact has the UN prepared to spend 300 million dollars (probably a low ball estimate) to find a way to possibly keep it from happening.

What can possibly be learned from this for Lent? Focus. Progress toward the final goal. Reality.

Chesterton has said we cannot be making "progress" unless we have something to make progress towards. How can we move forward if we can't see where we are now? Lent is a season for reconciliation, a season of progress towards God's infinite love. God is love-" Deus Caritas Est." The world wants us to see itself as a light to guide us, that's why the UN called itself a "Beacon of hope, peace, and prosperity." We find our light, our "city on a hill" in Christ and His church. Even our own country, which I love dearly, was described by Thomas Jefferson and Abraham Lincoln as the world's "last, best hope." But our last best hope is Jesus, and we should not forget.

I don't think the UN is all bad, despite my talk. I do think our country is the greatest in the world but I also know, however, that we are only pilgrims in this world and that our race here does indeed have a finish line. That finish line cannot be seen by the light of this world but by the light of another, in another. The light of the world sees some problems, but the light of truth reveals all. I hope that by seeing the lackluster light of the world this Lent I can see the spectacular glory present in the light of the Lord and humble myself to ask for His divine mercy.

During this season of Lent may the Lord bless us and keep us in His loving light whether we are guarding the lives of the unborn from a holocaust of "choice" or an asteroid.

Amen

No comments: